Steak Heaven for Meat Lovers: Santa Maria Tri-Tip Roast
Posted on May 30, 2012
This is my first post of my memorial day BBQ! I hope you guys had as much fun as I did. I would like to give credit to my husband, Matthew ,who is the grill master of the house because he is the one who cooked this gorgeous steak!
Santa Maria Tri-Tip (Adapted from food.com )
- 2 -3 lbs beef tri-tip roast or 2 -3 lbs top sirloin roast
- 1 tablespoon black pepper, fresh-ground
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup oil
- Mix together the black pepper, garlic, onion, paprika, and salt and rub on the meat. Let stand at 1-4 hours.
- Prepare the barbecue grill, using water-soaked oak chips or mesquite chips on the charcoal to produce smoke.
- It’s important to place meat fat side up because as it’s cooking the fat is going to melt, moistening the steak as fat drips . Grill the meat over direct heat, medium-high. Turn at least 3 times, basting every time with oil. Grill 30-35 minutes, to 140 degrees F.