Fennel, Apple Sausage, & Onion Pizza
Posted on June 28, 2012
- 24 oz pizza dough, room temp
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 6 oz fresh mozzarella, shredded
- 1/2 large onion, sliced thin
- 1 fennel bulb, shaved or thinly sliced
- 4 apple sausages, chopped
- Garlic cream sauce
- Seasonal herbs, I used: basil, ground fennel, and oregano.
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Sheet of baking paper
Place pizza dough in a bowl cover with olive oil and aluminum foil. Leave outside for two hours or until it doubles its size.
Shave fennel. Ok, so I’m using a cooking gadget called mandolin, which looks more like a guillotine, a torture device from the 18th century. It’s a bit dangerous if you dont use the guard, but it is amazingly useful in slicing vegetables paper-thin or for making evenly cut fries. If you don’t have one, shaving the fennel with a plain old peeler will do the trick! Have a bowl with iced water to put the fennel shavings on it ,otherwise they will turn brown. Quickly saute fennel and set aside in a bowl.
Saute the sausage just a bit, not too much because they are going to finish cooking in the oven.
Lay pan with baking paper. Then, stretch the pizza dough in table until the dough has the desired thickness.
Spread the homemade cream sauce on dough.
Ready for some obscenely mouthwatering pizza pics! Here we go….